How to breathe better when wearing a mask
Wearing a mask is no fun, we know, but this video can help you breathe better when wearing a mask, and that can help ease the strain right?
No-one likes wearing masks, but if you need to wear one for your work, or because you are in a place that has a mask mandate in place right now (like here in Queensland, Australia) then we think wearing a mask should have a little of an impact on your day and your health, as possible.
Try this simple breathing exercise whenever you have 30-60 seconds to spare when you can be appropriately spaced from others, and it is safe to do so.
Box Breathing Exercise -- Breathe better when wearing a mask!
This is a simple one.
- You can sit or stand -- just make sure that you are able to have 30-60 seconds with your mask off or pulled down without endangering yourself or others.
- Begin by taking a slow and controlled breath in through your nose for 4 seconds, 1…… 2…… 3…… 4……
- Then hold your breath in for 4 seconds, 1…… 2…… 3…… 4……
- Then breathe out through your mouth in a controlled way for 4 seconds -- 1…… 2…… 3…… 4……
- Then, repeat 5 -- 10 times.
The pattern looks like this --
As always, these videos are not intended to be medical advice, or provide a diagnosis or treatment of any type. We hope it helps you, but if you are concerned or have questions about the contents of this video, please do consult your local, trusted, healthcare advisor. If you are local to the Gold Coast in QLD, Australia, then please come by and see us in Parkwood, Robina, Coolangatta or Southport to go through this together.
Hopefully this small and simple exercise can help you breathe better while having to wear a mask.