Tips for staying healthy!
We spend many hours a year sweating it out on the mat. Not just for the sake of losing water but also for the big detox. Our Infra-Red system helps but there’s plenty you can do OFF the mat to ensure your toxic load is low and your body is getting stronger and healthier. With less toxic load on board, not only do you have more energy and mental clarity to function, but your immune system is primed and ready for any potential ‘invaders’. Follow our simple tips to increase your chances of staying healthy all year long. Some tips for staying healthy.
1. Avoid Artificial light
Light of certain frequencies at the wrong time of day/year can set your body reeling in terms of function. In our modern age, we stay under bright lights until late at night, we watch bright screens and rarely get the normal spectrum of sunlight for the season we are in. There is increasing research on the potential detrimental effects of ‘inappropriate’ light including links to MS, epithelial cancers (like skin, breast and colon) and mood disorders.
2. Know what you’re eating
Food sources are not always clean. Whether it be what the farmer or distributor sprays on the food right through to genetically modified produce, you want to find out what potential toxins you’re putting in your body.
Our top tips:
- If it’s in a packet it probably has chemicals you don’t want to consume
- Animal products are what they ate. Look for ethically farmed animal products and raised in ways as close as possible to their natural state and diet e.g. free-roaming, 100% Grass-fed cattle
- Know where your food came from and how it is produced (and stored)
- Find out if it is ‘in season’. If not, you’re not meant to be eating it
- Wash every fruit and vegetable thoroughly – residual pesticides and fertilisers can build up in your body over time
- Become a conscious eater; avoid non-organic grain and legume products (they are sprayed with Roundup routinely)
3. Drink water the right way
Water consumption is a necessity for everyone and as a hot yogi, you’re probably even more aware of how important it is to you. Water can be a gateway to consuming a range of unwanted chemicals, here are our top tips to avoid this:
- Purchase a good quality filter for your tap water
- Use glass or stainless-steel bottles as much as possible to avoid toxins from the plastics
4. Avoid sugar, artificial sweeteners and vegetable/seed-based oils
No need to go too in depth here. We know we love them; we also know we should stay away from them. Here are some products we recommend you avoid:
- If it’s got loads of sugar, agave, maple, rice syrup, HFCS – stop kidding yourself. It’s causing you a fatty liver, an unhealthy cardiovascular system and giving you a spare tyre!
- Artificial sweeteners, they will rot everything from your brain to your bones – just don’t
- Canola, margarine, any other seed oil based product – replace with olive, coconut, lard…. anything that comes from a natural source
5. Be conscious of everyday chemical exposure
We are surrounded by modern day conveniences such as deodorants, washing powders, bleaches, sunscreens, petrol, gas and glue to name a few. Then there’s the little luxuries – perfumes, cosmetics, shaving creams, and insect sprays…. pretty much all of them now considered a ‘necessity’. Now, we’re never one to advocate no deodorant – but there are some great non-toxic alternatives.
Toxic free items can be more expensive but when it comes to looking after your health, it’s well worth it. We recommend deciding what items you can’t live without and trying to find a ‘clean’ alternative. While many of us often throw caution to the wind and join in as our teens call out “YOLO”, always remember that health is easier to maintain than regain. We are happy to give your these tips for staying healthy!