Healthy heart meals
Healthy heart meals by Dr Henry Loh (Chiro)
Today we are going to share with you some quick and easy recipes which can be prepared by anyone. All ingredients can be found in regular supermarket. The salad and main can be prepared within 30 minutes while the soup might take up to an hour. These yummy recipes have included ingredients good for a healthy heart.
Interesting note to mention is that the Chinese Medicine philosophy associate food colour to different organs and elements in nature. For the purpose of this article, we will be using a lot of red colour food (fire element), to support and promote heart function.
Pumpkin and Turmeric Soup
- 1 medium size japanese pumpkin (approximately 1kg with skin and seeds removed)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 carrots
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoon of coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stocks
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a big stock pot in medium heat. Add onion and cook until brown and soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add pumpkin and carrots with turmeric and black pepper, close lids and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in coconut milk, vegetable stocks and water. Bring to boil and lower fire to simmer for at least 30minutes.
- Make sure the pumpkin and carrots are soft, remove from heat and let them cool down. When the ingredients are warm enough, pour them into food processor/blender until they are purée
Turmeric is well known for its anti-inflammatory property which can help lower the risk of heart attack. Taking curcumin (active ingredient of turmeric) regularly might also have an effect in blood vessels dilation, therefore promotion blood flow, reducing blood pressure and decreasing blood clot.
Healthy Grill Salmon
- A piece of salmon (100-150g) – (Dr Henry recommends Tasman Star Seafoods)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ lemon
- Lightly coat salmon piece with olive oil.
- Rub the rest of the ingredients on salmon and let it sit for 10-15 minutes
- Put salmon on preheated grilled on medium heat, skin side down for about 5-8 minutes or golden brown. Flip salmon and cook on the flesh side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice on salmon just before serving.
Salmon is good for heart because of its rich Omega-3-fatty acid content. Eating 2 meals of fish rich in Omega-3 fatty acid can potentially prevent heart conditions by lowering blood pressure and decrease chance of blood clot. Try looking for wild caught salmon for best quality source.
Orange and Red Slaw
- 4 carrots
- 4 beetroots
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 cup of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Cut or grate carrots and beetroots and mix in a big bowl. Add in walnuts, raisins and parsley leaves. Dress with some olive oil, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoon of soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Gentle toss and mix, enjoy!
The ingredients above are very rich of vitamin, antioxidants, potassium and plant based omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy heart meals are all very beneficial for supporting good heart health.